Programming for 2019-2021 Biennium
Program Type: Umbrella
Program Title: Promote Literacy and positive associations with reading in the African-American community
Lead Facet: Services to Youth
Situation: San Antonio’s African-American community suffers from low literacy. San Antonio lacks a cohesive, city-wide literacy initiative. The literacy rate in San Antonio is 25%.
Mission: The umbrella program will promote literacy and positive associations with reading in the African-American community, in a way that builds brand identity for The Links as a promoter of literacy initiatives.
1. To encourage each middle schools student attending the East Side Boys and Girls Club to read at least one book more than they did in the prior year, for two consecutive years. The recommended books should be age-appropriate and feature characters of various ethnicities.
2. Host at least one public event focusing on written works by African American authors and that were published in the 12 months prior year, for two consecutive years.
3. Submit formal, quantifiable, funding requests that will promote improved literacy in San Antonio to state legislators, and county and city officials each year, for at least two program years.
- Fall Reading Program
- Incentives for Other Books Read
- San Antonio Book Festival Sponsorship
- Advocacy for Literacy Initiatives